Thursday 19 March 2009

Mitten Appeal.


My beautiful baby Cassie arrived 6 weeks early last Thursday. She was taken from me and rushed to NICU.
After several days of uncertainty, Cassie is well enough to be moved to SCBU. She is an absolute terror for pulling out her feeding tubes, so the subject of mittens was brought up whilst I was visiting her yesterday. The unit has an abundance of knitted items, hats, blankets, booties, but is always running low on mittens.
I would like to get a stash of mittens together for them. My personal goal is 20 pairs. It would be fantastic if others could help me get to 100 pairs of mittens.
Materials.
Any soft wool can be used. I used a baby double knit from my stash. Use the size needles suitable for the wool. I used a size 4mm. The exact gauge is not important as all different sizes are welcome, From tiny up to 0-3 months.
I made this pattern up, there may be similar or better patterns that you would like to use. Feel free to use the pattern of your choice.
Cast on 26 sts.
Knit in the round - (K1, P1) repeat until cuff measures 1 inch.
K until work measures 3 inches.
Knit flat - Work 10 rows 1x1 Rib (K1,P1)
K 26 rows stocking Stitch (K 1 row, Purl 1 row)
Both methods - K2tog 13 times.
Break yarn and thread through remaining stitches.
Pull tight and sewn in ends.
Now make 2 ties, thread the ties behind the K stitches in the last row of rib.
Voila!
If you would like to add your mittens to our total, please contact me via this blog or my webstores www.woollywumpkins.co.uk www.woollywumpkins.com
If you keep your creations for your own precious preemies, we would love to see a piccy!

3 comments:

  1. Woolly you can count me in, I am so glad you have given us all a way that we can help to make a difference for other little babies like your beautiful baby girl.

    lots of hugs...luv D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hun its Maddy from GM, i have knitted mittens here from when i had Summer ill dig them out and get back to u, glad Cassie is pulling through xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pattern looks great! Both of my children were preemies (at 8 wks early & 6 wks early...both beautiful, healthy & smart at 10 yrs old & 8 yrs old). I really enjoy small, quick projects so I have decided to knit and donate hats, mittens and socks to our local NICU and the NICU where they were both born (MGH in Boston, MA, USA). This pattern will work nicely! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete